Friday, March 22, 2013

Powhiri

Yesterday we did a Powhiri with room 18 because Mr Cotrell is Maori  Before we did the porwiri miss garland and Mr Cotrell gave us a talk about Powhiri I learned heaps when we went and practiced. Some of it felt a little weird. When we had to watch the boys do the wero  When you are sitting down you a not aloud to smile or laugh. I found it hard not smile when it was the Wero I held it in but I felt like bursting out laughing. The wero is a type of challenge if you laugh or smile it is disrespectful for there culture if you laugh or smile you will get your head chopped off. Some words in Maori are hard for me but some words are quite easy. I learned heaps about a powhiri and heaps of Maori words. We all had to be in a waiata while the room 18 watched us

3 comments:

  1. well great reflection Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a awesome explanation.
    I think you need to work on your spelling before you publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic summary of the Pohiri Matilda. What beautiful voices room 19 has.

    ReplyDelete